Our Farm's History
The history of Saunderskill Farms (named for the tributary of the Rondout
Creek that flows through it) is as rich as the soil that has supported it for 12
generations. Originally granted to Lieutenant Hendrick J. Schoonmaker by
Peter Stuyvesant in 1663 as payment for military service, the family's original 300
acres of prime Rondout bottomland has been continuously farmed since 1680.
Second in age only to the Hull family farm in Southhold, Long Island,
Saunderskill Farm now includes more than 800 acres of vegetables, flowers
and orchards. The stone manor house, built in 1787, still stands on the
property, as does the barn that housed oxen used to pull barges on the
Delaware & Hudson Canal, a section of which meanders through the property.
Saunderskill is one of the few farms in the nation to have received the rare
Tricentennial Award from the U.S. Department of Agriculture.
||Take a video tour
of our Farm and Market
We invite you to visit our new farm market and greenhouse on Route 209
in Accord. After more than 300 years, we still market only the best produce,
flowers and fresh-baked pies.
- Jack, Dave, Cathy & Dan Schoonmaker